Rental Rules version 2016.2
CONTACT INFORMATION: The Tenant shall contact the Manager primarily by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the Tenants’ own email(s), name(s), phone number(s), and required application documents if not already submitted.
RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT (RTA): The Tenancy created by this agreement is governed by the RTA and if there is a conflict between this agreement and the RTA, the RTA prevails.
The Tenant agrees they have read and understood the RTA and have received a copy from the Manager and accepts delivery via the documents pages of the Managers website and that is was freely and publicly available prior to the signing of any lease. It is also freely and publicly available on the government website http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/R17P1.pdf
TERMS & CONDITIONS: The Tenant agrees to the Terms & Conditions version as noted on the Lease
RENT: If asked the Tenant will pay the rent by whatever method the Tenant is directed to do so by the Manager. It may be, but not limited to, post dated cheques (or secure funds such as bank draft, money order, etc) written out to the Owner (or to whomever the Manager directs the Tenant to pay), the amount described on the Lease, on or before the 1st day of each and every month of the term of the Lease (The rent shall be pro-rated as required). The Tenant is responsible to keep track of their payment history. When paying online the bank transfer provides each transaction a receipt, this is the Tenant’s receipt.
FEE SCHEDULE: The Tenant agrees to the Fee Schedule version as listed on the Lease, freely and publicly available on this website.
ADDITIONAL TENANTS: The Tenant agrees that only the collective Tenant may occupy the premises. Everyone making up the collective Tenant is aware that they are all responsible for the conditions of the lease. When two or more persons comprise the Tenant for the purposes of this Agreement, the Landlord may collect the rent due to the Landlord pursuant to this Agreement from any or all of them. The Tenant shall not exceed the total of above given allowed number of persons, unless the Landlord consents in writing to the occupation of the premises by some other or an additional person or persons.
INCONVENIENCE ISSUES: In the event of an appliance failure or other issue of inconvenience the Landlord shall remedy the issue with all due haste. The Tenant understands and agrees that the Landlord is limited by the availability and resources of local services and does not hold the Landlord liable for such issues as delays in providing services outside the Landlord’s immediate control.
PERSONS FOR WHOM TENANT IS RESPONSIBLE: The tenant is responsible for any person or persons who are upon or occupying the Premises, the common areas, or any other part of the Owner's premises. The Tenant is also responsible to supervise any persons who enter the premises whether for the purpose of visiting the Tenant, making deliveries, repairs or attending upon the Premises for any other reason. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Tenant is responsible for all members of his family, guests, servants, employees, agents, invitees, or other similar persons upon the premises.
PARKING AND AUTOMOBILES: The Tenant shall park his automobile only in the space or area allotted to him from time to time by the Landlord at the Tenant's own risk. The Tenant and all persons for whom the Tenant is responsible, shall use only existing roadways and parking areas intended for use by automobiles and shall neither operate nor park any automobile on any other part of the Landlord's premises. For the purpose of this clause, "automobile" includes trailers, trucks, campers, recreational, vehicles, commercial vehicles and motorcycles, as well as passenger cars.
Parking spaces, whether assigned to the Tenant or not, shall be used only for private passenger cars and not for boats, recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles exceeding one ton, or commercial equipment. The Tenant covenants that any vehicle owned by the Tenant or by any person for whom the Tenant is responsible, which does not have a current license plate may be removed by the Landlord at the Tenant's expense and the Landlord shall not be liable for any charges incurred in connection with such removal.
In the event that a block heater plug-in is provided, the Tenant covenants to use the same only in the manner and during the time directed by the Landlord from time to time, i.e., winter. The Tenant agrees not to use the plug-in for connection of in-car heaters unless authorized in writing by the Landlord. The Tenant agrees that the Tenant or any person(s) for whom the Tenant is responsible, shall not make any repairs to any automobile on any part of the Landlord's premises, whether or not a parking space is allotted
INSPECTION OF THE PREMISES: The Landlord and the Tenant agree to complete an inspection of the premises within one week of the Tenant's taking possession of the premises and within 10 days of the Tenant's surrendering possession of the premises. The Landlord agrees to provide the Tenant in each instance with a report of the inspection that describes the condition of the premises. The Landlord may complete the inspection without the Tenant if an adult person who falls within the definition of the "tenant" has refused to take part in two inspections suggested by the Landlord to take place on different days.
CARE OF ITEMS: The Landlord agrees that the premises supplied to the Tenant by the Landlord at the commencement of the term of this Agreement shall be in a reasonably good state of repair and reasonably clean and that insofar as the Landlord is responsible for the maintenance of the premises pursuant to this Agreement, they will be maintained in a reasonably good state of repair. The Landlord also agrees that any items supplied by the Landlord pursuant to this Agreement shall be in good working order and capable of full enjoyment by the Tenant and shall be maintained by the Landlord in a reasonably good state of repair throughout the term of this Agreement.
The Tenant agrees to take good care of the premises and keep them in reasonably clean condition and to take good care of any items supplied to the Tenant by the Landlord pursuant to this Agreement.
The Landlord may, in the event of the Tenant neglecting to maintain the premises after being called upon to do so, perform such maintenance or repairs and the Tenant shall pay the cost thereof to the Landlord upon demand.
LOCKS AND SECURITY DEVICES: The Tenant shall not install any security devices except in a good workmanlike manner without the prior written consent of the Landlord. Neither shall the Tenant change, nor re-key, the locks without prior written consent from the Landlord. In the event that the locks are changed or rekeyed three duplicate copies of the keys must be supplied to the Landlord within 1 business day.
BEHAVIOUR: The Tenant will not cause and the Tenant will ensure that the family and guests of the Tenant do not cause a nuisance or disturbance to other tenants, if any, in the same building in which the premises are located.
ASSIGNMENT AND SUBLETTING: The Tenant shall not have the right to assign or sublet, nor part with possession or control of the premises or part of the premises, nor leave guests in charge of the premises without the consent of the Landlord in writing, which consent may be arbitrarily withheld. The Tenant shall not allow the premises to be used for any illegal or immoral purpose whereby any policy of insurance maintained by the Landlord may be rendered void, voidable, or subject to an increase in premium.
ABANDONMENT: Should the Tenant fail to take possession of the premises at the commencement of the term of this Agreement, or abandon the premises before the expiration of this Agreement, the Landlord may take possession without notice or demand and re-let premises on such conditions as the Landlord may deem advisable, without prejudice to the Landlord's right to recover rental which may be owing and without prejudice to any claim or claims for damages.
LIABILITY FOR RENT: When two or more persons comprise the Tenant for the purposes of this Agreement, the Landlord may collect the rent due to the Landlord pursuant to this Agreement from any or all of them.
RIGHT OF ENTRY: Except as otherwise permitted by this Clause the Landlord shall not enter the premises without the consent of the Tenant or of any adult person lawfully on the premises. The Landlord shall have the right to enter the premises:
- Without notice or consent if the Landlord has reasonable grounds to believe that an emergency exists or that the Tenant has abandoned the premises, or,
- Without consent but after written notice to the Tenant,
- To inspect the state of repair of the premises,
- To make repairs to the premises,
- To show the premises to prospective purchasers or mortgagees of the premises, or
- To show the premises to prospective tenants after a notice of termination has been served.
- The notice shall be served on the Tenant at least 24 hours before the time of entry, the entry must be between 8:00 a.m. and 8 :00 p.m. and the entry must be made on a day that is not a holiday (except that the Landlord may enter on a Sunday if the Tenant's religious day of worship is not a Sunday and the Tenant has provided the Landlord with a written notice of that day) or on a day that is not the Tenant's day of religious worship (if that day is not a Sunday and the Tenant has provided the Landlord with a written notice of that day). The notice must be signed by the Landlord or the Landlord's agent, must state the reason for entry, and must name a time and date of entry consistent with the above requirements.
- Any and all notices: The tenants accepts an email or a text message as a “signed” notice if the tenant responds in acceptance to the text or email.
OBSERVANCE OF LAWS: Such requirements as presently exist and may in the future be enacted in law with respect to the relationship between landlords and tenants and with respect to such matters as health, sanitation, fire, housing and safety standards shall be observed by both the Landlord and the Tenant.
LIABILITY: The Tenant agrees that the Landlord shall not be liable or responsible in any way for any personal injury or death that may be suffered or sustained by the Tenant or by any person for whom the Tenant is responsible who may be upon the premises or the premises of the Landlord, or for any loss of or damage or injury to any property, including cars and contents thereof belonging to the Tenant or to any other person for whom the Tenant is responsible, and in particular, but without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Landlord shall not be liable for any damages to any of the said property or persons caused by steam, water, rain or snow which may leak into, issue or fall from any part of the premises or the premises of the Landlord, or from any water, steam sprinkler, drainage, or sewer pipe or from the used and operation of the laundry room, corridors, elevators, ground, common areas, parking lot or structure, swimming pool or any of the recreational and social facilities on the premises or any part of the premises of the Landlord. The Tenant acknowledges that the use of the premises and related facilities by the Tenant or by any person for whom the Tenant is responsible is entirely at their own risk.
INDEMNITY: The Tenant shall indemnify and save the Landlord harmless from all liabilities, fines, suits, claims, demands and actions of any kind or nature for which the Landlord shall or may become liable or suffer by reason of any breach, violation or non-performance by the Tenant, or by any person for whom the Tenant is responsible, or any other person for whom the Tenant is responsible. Such indemnification in respect of any such breach, violation or non-performance, damage to property, injury or death occurring during the term of the Lease shall survive the termination of the Lease, anything in this lease to the contrary notwithstanding.
BINDING EFFECT: This Lease Agreement and everything herein contained shall extend to and bind and ensure to the benefit of the respective heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, as the case may be, of each and every of the parties hereto, and when the singular and the masculine are used, the same shall be construed as meaning the plural or the feminine when the context or the parties hereto so require, and if the Tenant includes more than one person all covenants herein contained on the part of the Tenant shall be deemed joint and several.
CONDONATION: Waiver by the Landlord of any failure by the Tenant to conform to the provisions of this Lease, the Rules and Regulations or any Schedules attached to this Lease shall not affect the Landlord's rights in respect of any later failure.
PURCHASE OF PROPERTY: In the case where the Owner offers to sell the above described property, or the Tenant offers to purchase the property within the time of the tenancy or within 365 days after the tenancy ends, the Tenant agrees to use the services provided by the Manager in regards to purchasing the Premises from the Owner.
SEVERANCE: Should any provision(s) of this Lease and/or the attached Schedules be illegal or not enforceable under the laws of the Province of Alberta, it or they shall be severable and the balance of the Lease or the balance of the Schedules, as the case may be, shall remain in full force and effect and be binding upon the parties as though such illegal or unenforceable provision(s) had never been included.
RULES AND REGULATIONS: The Tenant will observe and comply with the Landlord's Rules and Regulations, with such reasonable variations and modifications as may be made to the Rules and Regulations from time to time by way of reasonable written notice from the Landlord to the Tenant, provided that such variations and modifications do not modify this Agreement and are clear and fair and are intended to either:
- Promote the comfort, convenience, safety or welfare of the Tenant, the family and guests of the Tenant and all other tenants in the building of which the premises form a part, if any:
- Preserve the Landlord's property from abusive use or promote the care and cleanliness of the premises,the building of which the premises form a part, in any, or the property on which the building is located, or;
- Make a fair distribution of services or facilities provided for the Tenant's use.
- The Rules and Regulations are made up of the sections, Defects, Maintenance, Safety and Consideration of Others
USE OF THE HOME/MANUALS: The Tenant will read, as necessary, the manual for any and all appliances within the home. If the manual is not available the Tenant will look up the manual on the manufacturers website prior to use. This includes but is not limited to the washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, stove/oven, garburator, water softener, central vacuum system, fridges and/or freezer, microwaves, etc.
- Garburators require a lot of running water during use.
- Wash clothes in cold water only with cold water liquid detergent
- Do NOT wash or dry oily or oil sands dirty clothes in the included laundry
DEFECTS/MAINTENANCE: The Tenant shall give to the Landlord prompt notice, by the online maintenance request form or in writing, of any accident or damage to or any defect in the water pipes, gas pipes, heating apparatus, electric lights, electrical or other wiring, appliances, or furniture supplied by the Landlord
Move-in “as is”. The Tenant agrees that nuisance or aesthetic only issues such as stained carpet and holes in walls are not required to be repaired or replaced but only noted “as is” regarding the state of the property. This does not mean they will not be replaced or repaired but that the Tenant has accepted the state of the home “as is” in regard to the rate of rent and the Owner does not have to make additional changes to fulfill the obligations of maintaining the home.
FURNISHINGS: The Tenant shall maintain furniture as necessary such as regularly tightening bolts.
Note: window coverings are not INCLUDED but any existing provided coverings are to be well kept.
MAINTENANCE: Tenant shall be responsible for and shall promptly pay for completion of, or to the Landlord upon demand, for the costs of any repairs or replacements to the premises or to any other property of the Landlord whether on or off the premises, provided that the costs were incurred due the fault or neglect of the Tenant or any person for whom the Tenant is responsible such as;
- The costs of repairing plugged toilets, sinks and drains, and the cost of damage resulting directly thereof; and
- The costs of repairing or replacing all windows, screens, light fixtures, fuses, light bulbs, or fluorescent tubes damaged, broken, removed or destroyed at any time during the tenancy; and
- The costs of cleaning, repairing and replacing all floor coverings or other part of the premises that is soiled, damaged, water-stained or destroyed.
- Changing the batteries in Keyless Deadbolts /Locks and smoke alarms regularly.
- Schlage Keyless Digital Deadbolts are to have their batteries changed every year on in October - schedule it for Halloween.
- All powered deadbolts should have their batteries changed every 3 months: March 1st, June 1st, Sept 1st and Dec 1st.
- The Tenant shall appropriately wash every surface of the home on a regular basis:
- The whole home at least once per month
- The viewable and reachable areas at least once per week.
- The Tenant shall dispose of all garbage from the premises in a proper manner, completely on at least a weekly basis
- The Tenant shall use the yard, entrance and walks in a proper manner and shall keep all walks. yards and garbage disposal areas for which the Tenant is responsible clean and tidy at all times, free of all objectionable material, including ice and snow.
- If the Premises has a lawn in which the resident is responsible for it’s maintenance then the Tenant is responsible to mow the lawn as it is necessary to maintain a respectable appearance and shall never exceed 6 inches in length and the Landlord reserves the right to mow it and charge the Tenant if the Tenant fails to do so.
- If windows, doors, or patio doors are left open on the premises by the Tenant or by any person invited on the premises by the Tenant, causing plumbing to freeze, damage by rain or water damage to the premises, the Tenant shall be responsible for any damage occasioned by such action.
- The Tenant agrees to immediately report to the Landlord any and all damage, deterioration or new deficiencies that may occur to the premises.
- Only small picture hooks and small nails may be used for the hanging of pictures in the premises.
- The Tenant shall be responsible for replacing glass with glass of a kind and quality similar to that which may be broken, cracked or damaged due to the negligence or willful misconduct of the Tenant or any other person or persons invited on the premises by the Tenant.
- The hallways, passages and stairs of the building in which the premises are situated shall be used for no purpose other than going to and from the premises and the Tenant shall not in any way encumber those areas with boxes, furniture or other material or place or leave rubbish in those areas and other areas used in common with other tenants.
- Boots and rubbers which are soiled or wet shall be removed at the entrance to the building in which the premises are located and taken into the Tenants premises.
- The Tenant shall do no structural alterations, painting, papering or redecorating without prior written consent of the Landlord.
- Neither the Tenant nor the Landlord shall add to or change locks on doors giving access to the premises or to any other building or property of which the premises form a part without the prior written consent of the other party.
- All light bulbs will be replaced with the highest efficiency light bulbs (LED at the time of this posting). Any blown out at the move-in will be paid for by the Owner.
- Every 6 months the Tenant should have the carpets steam cleaned
- The Tenant agrees to always cook with the vent fan on
- If the furnace fan is constantly running the Tenant is to inform the Manager
SAFETY: The Tenant must keep and observe all health, fire and police regulations of the Province and city, town or municipality in which the premises are located.
- No additional electric wiring or heating units shall be installed in the premises without the prior written consent of the Landlord.
- No combustible material or flammable liquid shall be kept on the premises except in small quantities and in containers approved for this purpose.
- If the Tenant is absent from the premises and the premises are unoccupied for an extended period, the Tenant is to notify the Landlord and arrange for regular inspection by a competent person.
- Noise shall not be permitted in the premises which, in the opinion of the Landlord, disturbs the comfort of the other tenants or neighbours, this shall include a loud or misbehaving pet
- The Tenant will not leave guests in charge of the premises or have guests stay longer than one week without notifying the Landlord.
- If parking facilities are provided, they are provided at the Tenant's own risk and the Tenant is required to park in the stall allotted to The Tenant. Unlicensed or inoperable vehicles parked on the Landlord's property will be removed at the Tenant's expense.
- The Tenant will obey any reasonable rules posted regarding the use and care of the building, parking lot, laundry room and other common facilities such as swimming pool, playground, etc., that are provided for the use of the Tenant and other tenants.
- The Tenant shall not place or expose or allow to be placed or exposed anywhere in the premises within or without, any placard, notice plate or sign for advertising purposes, nor shall the Tenant affix to the premises or erect thereon any radio or T.V. antenna or towers, without the prior written consent of the Landlord.
All carpets professionally steam cleaned (NOT with a personal rental).
Proserve 1 (780) 791-3663
Bryan the Carpet Cleaner 1 (780) 804-0775
- The property will be fully cleaned BEFORE 12:00pm noon of the move-out day. This includes, but is not limited to, these commonly missed items:
- Behind all appliances
- Inside the stove, fridge and microwave
- All cupboards wiped off
- Walls washed
- Any pet excreta in the yard picked
- Yard left well maintained, seeding dead spots where necessary
- All garbage will be removed from the premises, including emptying the bins provided by the city (where applicable)
- All light bulbs to be working
- Lawn is well kept (NOTE: particularly if there are pets, the Tenant agrees to a hold on a portion of their deposit in the event their move-out is in winter and the state of the yard is not visible for inspection).
If the Tenant had a pet the Tenant agrees that if the move-out is done in winter we may charge a flat rate cleaning fee for when the spring thaw reveals previously hidden pet excreta.